FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Neurotic Text: The future looks bright. Ted Haggard doesn't.

Monday, February 05, 2007

The future looks bright. Ted Haggard doesn't.

Contrast and compare time. Here, by way of Harper's, is disgraced Christianist scumbag Ted Haggard, attempting to justify his own personal sectarian hair-splitting and ill-concealed bigotry through an appeal to modernism and science:
"And the nations dominated by Catholicism look back. They don't tend to create our greatest entrepreneurs, inventors, research and development. Typically, Catholic nations aren't shooting people into space. Protestantism, though, always looks to the future. A typical kid raised in Protestantism dreams about the future. A typical kid raised in Catholicism values and relishes the past, the saints, the history. That is one of the changes that is happening in America. In America the descendants of the Protestants, the Puritan descendants, we want to create a better future, and our speakers say that sort of thing. But with the influx of people from Mexico, they don't tend to be the ones that go to universities and become our research-and-development people. And so in that way I see a little clash of civilizations."
Thanks, crosslicker. Now, what do the real scientists have to say about your faith after exposure to the fruits of all that research and development you value you so highly? Here's Richard Dawkins in "The god delusion" (published, incidentally, about the same time last year that bastion of morality Haggard was being exposed as a shameless liar with a meth habit and a penchant for male prostitutes):
"A study in the leading journal Nature by Larson and Witham in 1998 showed that of those American scientists considered eminent enough by their peers to have been elected to the National Academy of Sciences only about 7% believe in a personal God. This overwhelming preponderance of atheists is almost the exact opposite of of the profile of the American population at large, of whom more than 90% believe in some sort of supernatural being. The figure for less eminent scientists , not elected to the National Academy, is intermediate. As with the more distinguished sample, religious believers are in a minority, but a less dramatic minority of about 40%. It is completely as I would expect that American scientists are less religious than the American public generally, and that the most distinguished scientists are the least religious of all."
So yeah, maybe appeals to rationality and the advance of scientific knowledge aren't exactly the best way to ensure the continued strength of archaic theology after all, huh? Idiots.

5 Comments:

At 12:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, new to this blog thing, wanna check out mine? it's all music and retardation. Saw you in Erich's page...actually did a HUGE expose on FOG in one of the posts. CHEERS!

damagingnoise.blogspot.com

 
At 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot...CORRUPTURE! :)

Well, we don't live in Oz...so I'm sure the locals know the real deal. Thing is, in my very brief correspondence with Andy he never once said anything offensive outright, that's all I'm going by. Even I think the stuff they did later on was completely tasteless lyrically...but the man is dead, so I give respect to that.

 
At 7:38 am, Blogger nicole said...

Simon - your blog is heady & political...I usually *only* read blogs about crafts...but I'm making an exception for you & you only. I've also linked to your blog from mine, so you may experience a large number of knitting girls stumbling this way.

 
At 11:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour Simon! THIS is why the cut/paste (plus what the hey...I credit my sources!) I still have like 5 eps I ripped myself I just don't have the time to upload yet.

I'm alive!
Borag Thung Noisenheimers!

As most of you probably don't know, I'm thoroughly mired in x-ray school now. It consumes the vast majority of my time and doesn't allow for me to make the quantity of posts I'd like to. My head feels like a sieve...so much information is being thrown at me I'm constantly questioning how much I'm retaining. This blog is far from dead, but until things (hopefully) ease up in a few months, uploads will be few and far between (unless I steal some fresh links). Take care, I'll be around off and on! --S

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Simon
Sorry to speak off topic but I am seaching high and low for a vinyl copy of Ugly Pop records DFA Destined for Assimilation. If you have any left,have any leads, or know someone who is willing to sell.
Please contact me at Missphitts@yahoo.com. Thanks for any help.

Lenny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home